- Catch a CAT
- CAT Services
- Passengers with Disabilities
- Ride Free
- Visiting Savannah
- Bike & Ride
- Safety & Security
- Modified Schedules & Map
- Rider Tools
- Fares & Discounts
- About CAT
- Board of Directors
- Title VI
- Joe Murray Rivers, Jr. Intermodal Transit Center
- Plans and Studies
- CAT Careers
- Doing Business
- CAT Administrative Policies
- News & Events
- CAT Careers
Community Surplus Vehicle Program
Chatham Area Transit awards retired CAT vehicles to eligible organizations to help address unmet transportation needs. By granting these vehicles to community groups, they can continue to provide much-needed transportation services. Eligible applicant organizations are invited to apply according to the published guidelines below.
Congratulations to the selected organization to receive CAT’s first donated vehicle The Savannah Royal Lions Youth Organization!
There are no other vehicles being offered at this time.
Please review the eligibility guidelines and selection criteria below before completing the Community Surplus Vehicle Program Application (Links to paper and online applications are below):
Vehicle program application (online version)
Vehicle program application (paper version)
All non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations and agencies that serve Chatham County are eligible to apply. If unsure if your group has a 501(c)(3) status, or if you need to apply for it, go to the Internal Revenue Service’s for more information.
- Applicant must provide IRS documentation or appropriate documentation as proof of not-for-profit and/ or 501(c)(3) designation.
- Vehicle must be used for transportation for trips with either an origin or destination in Chatham County.
- Application must include clear designation of primary applicant who will be named as “Buyer” on the vehicle title.
- Awarded applicants shall use the supplied vehicle to provide transportation to their clients, members, guests or other users as described in the application.
- Successful applicant will be required to sign an Agreement relating to the exchange of vehicles for passenger transportation-related services.
- Applicants must certify they have the financial and management capacity to insure granted vehicles, if selected as recipient.
- Recipient shall immediately remove all Chatham Area Transit colors and logos from the vehicle once they take possession of the vehicle and before the vehicle goes into service.
- Once recipient takes possession of the vehicle and before being put into service, recipient must clearly indicate ownership of the vehicle.
- Reporting Requirements: Grantees must track ridership, hours, miles of service, and provide a quarterly report to Chatham Area Transit for one year from award date.
- Grantees shall not use the vehicle for assisting a campaign for election or for the promotion of or opposition to any ballot proposition, or any political purpose.
Applications will be evaluated by a committee of Chatham Area Transit staff. Given the limited pool of available surplus vehicles, the application process is competitive. The committee will evaluate the applications by taking into consideration the selection criteria, and may seek additional information from the applicant before making final selections.
SELECTION CRITERIA WEIGHT
1. Demonstrated Community Benefit – 62%
2. Service Coordination – 25%
3. Clarity and Quality – 13%
TOTAL – 100%
Successful applications will address the selection criteria, as well as provide data and relevant information, as requested.
- Demonstrated Community Benefit
Clearly explain the scope and nature of your agency transportation needs and provide data to back up that need. Explain how you would serve an unmet public transportation need in Chatham County.
Identify the transportation services you currently use, what other options are available to your agency or organization and how your program will coordinate with other programs to get maximum use.
- Service Coordination
Describe how your current and proposed service coordinates with other transportation services in the area to ensure broad community benefit. Describe why existing Chatham Area Transit services do not meet your needs.
- Clarity and Quality
Applications will be rated on content, clarity, presentation, and quality of the proposal based on legibility, completeness, inclusion of data and clear description of transportation needs.
1. Current Vehicle(s) available to view by appointment October 5, 2021
2. Applications Due October 29, 2021
3. Review applications and select awardee(s) November 11, 2021
4. Award(s) announced November 16, 2021
5. Deadline to claim vehicle and remove from lot December 9, 2021
There are no vehicles being offered at this time.
Completed applications can be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Chatham Area Transit
ATTN: Community Surplus Vehicle Program
900 E. Gwinnett St.
Savannah, GA 31401
Or fill out an online application here.